Grant Writer — Job Description
Project Alianza is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit based in Boston, Massachusetts USA. Our mission is to provide education for children in rural in Central America. We work efficiently with private coffee farmers and local leaders, as well as US-based foundations, coffee companies and corporations to invest in educational and economic opportunities. We work in climate-vulnerable communities where there is a high-density of extreme poverty and frequent migration to provide comprehensive education on-site for farm workers’ children as well as the children of other local smallholder farmers. These farm-based schools are recognized by the Ministry of Education and serve remote coffee communities where schools are least accessible or failing to provide safety and fundamental education.
We are a young social enterprise, with an entrepreneurial spirit and no national or industry agenda. Most of our team is comprised of women with over 30 staff in Central America who direct and implement our programs. We currently work on over 20 farms in Nicaragua with pilots in El Salvador and Guatemala. Moving forward, we aim to expand our Community Allies Program, based on the evidenced-backed Teach at The Right Level model and pilot curated technology programs to improve literacy outcomes and life skills among children in rural communities throughout Central America.
Grant Writer Responsibilities
The Grant Writer is a part time, contract position that reports directly to the CEO of Project Alianza and liaises with the Central American team and Board of Directors. The Grant Writer will be responsible for researching, writing and coordinating the grant application process, management of proposals, and maintaining a donor database. Being a self-motivated, creative, adaptable compassionate team player is a must. Other responsibilities may include donor outreach and public relations.
The Grant Writer duties will include, but are not limited to:
· Write high-quality grant proposal narratives, applications, and supporting documents
· Responsible for researching, collecting data, and writing of each grant
· Work with leadership team, directors, and accountant to compile financials and data
· Manage the proposal submission process to ensure timely submission of all required materials.
· Develops and maintains a proposal calendar
· Coordinate and follow-ups on the progress of submitted proposals
· Develops an annual grants strategy and contribute to the fundraising strategy
· Conduct prospect research to identify, cultivate and solicit new grants
· Additional duties may include coordinating fundraising campaigns, seeking and promoting the organization through public relations work and assisting in digital or personal outreach to individual donors
· A minimum of 4 years of experience in research and grant writing; nonprofit experience a plus
· Bachelor’s Degree required; Graduate Degree preferred
· Demonstrated ability to write successful grant proposals in education field
· Knowledge of Boston area foundations, donors, and corporations that support education NGOs
· Detail-oriented, organized, deadline-driven
· Clear, precise, and compelling writing skills
· Able to effectively communicate and be a flexible worker
· Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently with purpose and accuracy in a fast-paced, startup environment
The Grant Writer will work approximately 10-20 hours per week depending on grant cycles and demands. Hours are Monday through Friday. Possible work from home arrangement or remote working position. Ideal would be to meet with CEO in person at least one day per week in Boston office, but remote working position for an excellent candidate will be considered.
Salary/Income: The Grant Writer is an hourly, contract position. We offer competitive compensation depending on location and experience pay plus a performance bonus for meeting our target revenue goal. There is opportunity for promotion to a full-time Development Officer Role in 2020.
To Apply: Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line “Grant Writer Position” by May 15.